Who knows?

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Who knows what today will bring, or for that matter the next minute or even second of my life. See I just changed what I was writing and a minute ago I didn't know I would do that. I sometimes wish I has a tiny peek into the future but then its that not knowing that makes life interesting. Today is sure to be an interesting one for me.

Last Friday we all got an email notice at work stating that today, a major Internet blocker would be in place which would block us from going to many Internet sites. They stated the reasons for this action but it all boils down to increased efficiency. Time on the Internet=lost production. Well for most people, not me. I know how to work and blog at the same time and actually increase production.

Since I get to work early just to get the morning report out, I often have some time left before my day officially begins where I can go on line and read the Bible or read personal emails. I am not sure if those sites will be blocked today. Then once my day starts, I have the Internet on in the background all the time. I use it for repair part searches all day so I just keep it on. Sometimes when I am waiting for replies from vendors I will check out my blog and then yours to kill some time since I have to be sitting at my desk to get those phone calls. No time lost there.

I guess the big question is if this saves us time, what will we do with the time. I am betting most people will walk around and visit with their neighbor or call people on the phone or maybe even send a few emails. I doubt seriously if there will be a ton of extra work accomplished today because of this action. Now that would be something interesting to find out. Just how much extra work gets done today because of this. I bet with all the extra work being done, we may just get that Christmas bonus. OH that's a good one. I made myself laugh.

So if you don't hear from me today, don't worry. I will catch up with you all tonight. Maybe I will include a picture of my nice clean office. Just FYI. I already cleaned it on Friday since I got all my work done early before the holidays.

Have a blessed day,
Greg

Comments

Jeannie said…
Tough call here. Taking away a privilege might lower morale, causing a decrease in productivity. People might just take more bathroom, refreshment, gossip breaks and take longer than a quick look at an internet site when they need a minute or two of changed pace. hmmm
sara said…
I agree with Jeannie...this might just backfire on them!
Greg C said…
I agree with Jeannie too. And guess what? So far so good. I am still on but they may not have installed the blocker yet. Hey if you want to see a funny movie, with a serious message, check out 2nd cup of coffee today.
The nerve of these people!! I will have to jump on the band wagon and agree with the herd, it will lower morale causing a great deal of depression from not being able to blog, therefore a loss in production!! Goodness, what were they thinking????
Edie said…
Well I'm glad to see that you've been able to visit so far. I've worked with people that have seriously abused the privelege of access to the internet, and phone. Unfortunately, they are the ones that usually cause this kind of decision.

Hopefully it will all work out.
Yeah, I agree with everything said here; morale is a very important part of a workplace. But privileges demand that people do not abuse them, which is many times a rare thing.

That fact tends to hurt those, like yourself, who do not put personal amusement before company production.

Maybe they are just blocking ridiculous websites, not the exceptional ones that are on Blogger.com. :-)
Kelly said…
Next they'll install copier codes so you can't get free photo copies, and tie to your pens to the desk with the little bank chains. LOL!!!!

Or maybe people are visiting p*rn sites and those are the ones that will be blocked. That is a big problem is offices.
Scarlet said…
I heard from you this morning, so I guess you're still on.

It doesn't sound like they'll get more out of their employees by taking away certain internet privileges. Like you, I'd be curious to know how much more work gets done without it.
Lori said…
I would be sad if they did that in my office! Hopefully they won't block blogger.com. I notice that people don't make nearly as many personal phone calls at work since the advent of the internet. Maybe there will be too many complaints in your office and there will be an end to the ban.
Drats....what little joy you DO have a work.....I'd seriously consider quitting if they did that here! haha


p.s. I got my fingers crossed that you'll get a bonus!!
The Blonde Duck said…
I'd be a lot madder than you are. Taking away the Internet won't stop people from goofing off. They'll just do other things.
Monogram Queen said…
Glad you werent' affected! I blog at work but that's because I don't really have anything else to do! Sad!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper

My plans have changed.

My new blog