I’m appalled.

Soapbox warning. I will keep it short.

25 million dollars for a one year contract to PLAY baseball and he turns it down. And the icing on the cake is that this guy isn’t even from America. He came here to play baseball. He wanted to play baseball or so it seemed. I guess he really came to America to make money. Sports figures have a lot of nerve in my opinion. Let’s face it. Manny Ramirez has a batting average of .332 which means that almost 70% of the time he fails in his job. Take that kind of record back to your job and see how long they keep you much less offer you 25 Million to stay on for a year.

I have heard several arguments for why these “super athletes” should get so much money. The first is that they only produce for a few years compared to regular people who have an income for 25 to 35 years. The other way to look at it is that these guys (and girls) only HAVE to work for a few years. If they are smart and bank even a small portion of their money, they can live out the rest of their lives with more than most of us working people. Wait, I feel better. I just did the math on this one and if I work for 200 years at my current salary, I can make as much as Manny could in one year if he were to accept this paltry offer. I don’t blame him a bit now.

Now the second argument for them making so much money is that they are held to a higher standard than the rest of us, being that they are constantly in the spotlight. In fact our children idolize many of them and often aspire to one day be just like them. That’s right, our children look up to these super heroes. And I have to say that they do a great job up there on that pedestal which makes paying them millions of dollars the right thing to do. Can I hear it for Michael Vick, Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant and the other excellent examples out there? Way to go guys. Way to set a great example for our children.

Ok I feel better now. I will post something humerous tomorrow.

Have a great day,
Greg

Comments

Sometimes you just have to vent and I don't think any of them are worth even half as much as they get. Wish our policemen or teachers could make half as much.
I'm appalled with you! Stand tall on that soapbox and shout any time.
Sharon said…
Thats just crazy, this money is so needed else where.
we all need to shout about it.

O0kkk relax ~~~ Maybe we should pray and get into agreement.
:) blessings
The money is crazy...but the general population continues to cough up big bucks for tickets to to sports events. I sometimes wonder how it would be if everyone (ha!) just decided that $12 is as much as they'd pay for a ticket to an NFL game. I'm amazed at how this economy suffers, and yet sports still seem to thrive.
Edie said…
I love your reasoning Greg. There's enough room on that soapbox for more than one.

What do you mean only Edie? :)
Anonymous said…
I was very shocked about the Michael Phelps scandal. It seems like fame and fortune does this to even the best role models.
Beverlydru said…
That appalls me too. I also just read the football coach at my daughter's college makes 2.5 MILLION dollars per year. What is wrong with this picture??!! P.S. This is called a "Squall" over at my place. Feel free to link up.
I totally agree with you, these guys make toooooo much $ and are supposed to be role models and what role models they are. I too wish our real heroes made this king of $ (teachers, fireman, police officers, etc...) ohhhh you opened up a can of worms,did ya?
Anonymous said…
Thanks for visiting my blog. You need to post the list and tell us what you've done!

I agree with you totally on the baseball player soapbox. Mr. S was a fantastic player - he even got to go to the World Series and sit in the dugout when he was a player in High School. His dream was to be a MLB player - then, in college (same old story) he hurt his arm. They flew him to Boston for surgery, and although he could finish his collegiate career - his dreams of the big leagues were gone. It is sad that there are good people, with talent (and drive) that would give anything to step on those fields of green.... and then you see those who are greedy and waste their talents on abusing their money, power, and vices. Preach on, brother!
Kelly said…
Sickening! Then firefighters, policeman, miltary, teachers make NOTHING.

If you have skin cancer it takes 3 months to get into the dermatologist, but if you want botox they get you in within 7 days. What is happening to our world?

Sorry - I think I just knocked you off the soap box and jumped on. King of the hill?
Monogram Queen said…
I am totally with you on this topic. Athletes/celebrities are GROSSLY overpaid. Don't hand me that "limited window" bullsh*t either. They can darn well get a regular job if their career is cut short just like the rest of us!

Didja get any snow this time? WE did!
Becky said…
I agree with you 100% on all points, Greg. I am unaware of what Phelps has done though... fill me in.
I just stepped up on my soapbox for the second time today! I thought on Monday that my screaming at the radio people would get me arrested while I was driving down the road!! I WAS LIVID!

They felt that poor little olympic swimmer dude, should get a break because he is young, and hey everyone smokes pot! UGHH!! NO NOT EVERYONE SMOKES POT! I have never smoked pot and I was a wild huligan when I was younger! Ugh, these guys (girls) are paid millions (shouldn't be, but are) and they are role models for our youth and YES they should be held to a higher standard!

I say boot his butt down the road and teach him a real lesson about life, they should treat him like the "Hey dude get a Dell" guy!

Grow up and take responsibilty for your actions! You think if I got caught smoking pot I would still hve a job?

Don't even get me started on football players and the like, millions, ugh! Pay a fireman, a teacher, anyone millions of dollars, they deserve it, not these folks!

Sorry, BFF! Didn't mean to have a mini melt down!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper

My plans have changed.

My new blog