It's about Time

It’s about Time. Remember that old TV show? Well this isn't about that show.

My sitemeter has indicated an influx of new viewers to my blog. At first I thought it was people wanting a Psychic reading (see last post) but then reality set in and I discovered that this wasn’t the case. No I really am not a Psychic. The only lottery numbers I can guarantee you are LAST night’s numbers if you are interested. Maybe you can convince a lottery salesperson that you really meant to buy that lottery ticket yesterday and he will backdate the ticket. Yea like that’s going to happen.

So where are these visitors coming from? After a lengthy investigation I discovered that they are coming from a recent article in "Time Magazine." The article is about the movie “The Notebook”. Now if you have been with my for a while you know that the plantation house where Noah lived in The Notebook is right around the corner from where we live. And you also may know that my wife and I got married in that house. I have posted several photos on my blog of that house. So obviously after reading this article people are searching for more information on “Noah’s house” and they are finding my blog. You gotta love the internet.

I actually have a funny story about that house and what happened during the filming of The Notebook.

During the filming the stars parked about a block from my house and took a shuttle up the dirt road to the big house. This road was called Yellow House Road. It was named this because the house on the corner is yellow. No mystery there. This house too had a famous owner but that is another story. I live on Bears Bluff Road, right around the corner from Yellow House Road. And no I have never seen a bear anywhere in this road although there are a few deer (see previous entry). They were filming during the winter but they took a break around Christmas time so that the stars could spend Christmas with their families.

About a week after Christmas, a woman showed up at my door saying that she had something she thought belonged to us. My wife followed her to her car and there in the back was a package with our name on it. Coming from the package was a horrendous smell like something inside was dead. Apparently, this package had been delivered to the plantation house (Noah’s house) and since no one was home, left there on the porch in the hot sun. Because the filming had stopped over the holidays, this package sat there for about three weeks. I can see where the UPS delivery man may have been confused because Yellow House Road and Bears Bluff Road both have the word "Road" in them. Yea right!

Anyway, this package was from the Chesapeake Bay Seafood Company. Not good. It was an exceptionally warm December and January and I am guessing that the dry ice that the contents were packed in, melted in about two or three days. We didn’t need to open the package to know that what was inside was spoiled. It smelled so bad that we took down the package information and then threw the box in the dumpster unopened. UPS didn’t want to reimburse us for the lost goods saying that it wasn't their fault, but the Seafood Company gladly sent us another package. It was a Christmas present from my sister and after about a week, we got some fresh crab cakes. They were great too by the way.

After scrubbing the deck where the package sat for three weeks, people were again able to approach the house without getting sick so filming resumed.

So if you are watching the movie "The Notebook" and detect a slight fishy smell, you now know where it is coming from.

Have a great day,
Greg

Comments

Monogram Queen said…
Oh lord that is HORRIBLE! But awesome that the seafood company reimbursed you the goods!!!

I saw signs for Wadamalaw Island this week-end and hoped y'all had a wonderful Valentines Day!
My ADHD Me said…
WAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That was nice of the seafood company.
When will other businesses realize that customer service is EVERYTHING!!
sara said…
Wow, that is hilarious! I can only imagine how bad that smelled...yuck! those actors now have a story to tell thanks to your sister....and of course UPS!!
What a great story. Glad the seafood company made things right even though UPS did not.
I think the woman who put the package in your car and drove it to you was extraordinarily kind (or not so bright). It must have stunk for days!
Kelly said…
I think this whole story is a bit fishy. HAHA!

I guess you didn't meet any famous folks, or you would have mentioned it right?

I read a book called Palindrome by Stuart Woods and it mentions some Islands in SC. Are you familiar with it?
What a story! I do like the movie, although it has a few parts in it that I wouldn't want a teenager to see! But the overall gist of it is very good. I didn't know you lived by that house! I'll have to watch it again and look for CLUES!

Cuz I'm really good at clues, RIGHT Mr. Greg??? Hmmmm?? he he he
Anonymous said…
I have had similar experiences with UPS. One time they lost one of my packages in Austin, TX after it left my hands but before it arrived at the destination. They tried to tell me it had never been picked up, yet there was 2 days of tracking in the system. After enough complaining they finally reimbursed me for the package.

I really like these completely random posts!
Kim S in SC said…
I had a computer delivered to my door one afternoon. It wasn't mine but was left on my doorstep. Good thing I decided to give it to the rightful owner, but I always wonder if there is something good out there of mine, sitting on someone else's doorstep.
Cool that the Notebook house is close to you. My daughters and I love that movie!
Edie said…
Wahahahaha!! That is to funny!!

I think you could have pressed UPS to pay for it but it wouldn't have been worth the effort.

That was very generous of the seafood company to send you a new one.

Just think, if they hadn't been filming, the odor might have brought out that Bear they named your *Road* after.
Marla said…
Nice story and I bet it really was stinky! I loved the book more than they movie.
Angie said…
You've always got a story, dontcha Greg. YOu're the kind of guy I like to sit next to at a family reunion. Funny.
That must have wreaked... Ya know I own the movie the notebook and have never watched. How sad is that, I will have to watch it now and see if I smell anything fishy -hehehe..

Thanks for stopping by my blog, those are pics of Paradise island. We did not go on a cruise, but I got the vertigo from the flight -- wierd huh? After having the vertigo for over a week I would have to agree with your wife, I have never been on a cruise and now I don't think I ever want to go on one:)
B His Girl said…
You have a lot of tales Greg. This one I like :0) Did I mention the Lord nudged me to commit to following your blog? Maybe sitemeter should have a column for God linked. It's true. It's in His notebook. Really. Nothing fishy about that for sure. b
Peggy said…
Greg;

What a great story...I don't know where I saw your blog first but I'm enjoying it very much! The noebook was my daughters favorite movie. I got the book first and I loved the movie . Never knew that you had any connection. Now when ever I play the movie I'll think of you!
I get those crab !cakes all the time..we love them...Hope yours were good
Lori said…
I'll never view that movie the same again. Lol
Funny story, bet it wasn't at the time - lol.

I love that movie Greg and so does my daughter, Lauren. I had no idea you were married in that house that it was so close to your home. I can't wait to tell this to Lauren. What a fantastic story.
Beverlydru said…
Google is a fascinating tool for sure. How interesting that The Notebook connection has driven lots of traffic. With this post- there will be that much more. : )
ChrisJ said…
I know the title, but haven't seen the movie or read the book. I need to investigate it. Maybe I'm missing something.
Brenda said…
I just saw that movie about a month ago for the first time. I loved it and want to see it again. Maybe read the book, also. The books are always better. That is pretty cool that you live where they filmed and got married in the house. Now I must go back and see if I can find the pictures. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper

My plans have changed.

My new blog