Thursday, May 7, 2009

Reach out and touch someone, it’s Thankful Thursday

Last evening we attended “First Wednesday” at our church. It is a service that is held on the first Wednesday of every month. There was lots of singing along with a great message. I love the singing although I know I don’t sing very well.
The message came from 2 Corinthians:

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
This passage says a lot.

First of all, we can find comfort in God. When times get tough God will be there to comfort you if you only let him. I think times are tough right now, don’t you agree?
Secondly, we will have trouble in our lives so expect it, deal with it, make the best of it and go on with your life. Jesus had troubles. He dealt with them.
And lastly once you get those troubles behind you, it’s time to pass that wisdom and comfort along to your fellow man.
So when trouble comes calling, thank God because it will make you a better person and allow you to provide comfort to others.

Here is my Thankful Thursday list:

1. I am thankful that my family wasn’t hurt worse in the recent accident that they had. Things could have been a lot worse.

2. I am thankful that my life hasn’t always been easy because knowing me like I do I could have easily become lazy.

3. I am thankful that it’s National Prayer Day and that we live in a country where it is ok to say that.




4. I am thankful that I am still pushing along on my fitness program. I did 40 minutes on the elliptical trainer this morning. I haven’t lost any more weight but I am feeling great.

5. I am thankful for the last time my boat broke down. Let me explain.

About two years ago we were going fishing. As we headed up the river, the motor all of a sudden revved up high and we quit moving. We had sheared the main shaft but we didn’t know it at the time. There was nothing we could do except row. So we rowed over to the bank and then decided what to do next. It was several miles back to the boat landing (against the wind and tide) but there was a dock a few yards down the bank. We opted to row to the dock and beg for help. I say beg because in my mind I imagined a southern redneck coming out of his house toting a shotgun and telling us to get the heck away from his dock. That wasn’t the case. When we got there I tied the boat to one of the cleats and walked up to the house to ask for directions back to the landing so that I could return home and get our other boat.

Up at the house, I called to see if anyone was around. An elderly man came down the steps and told me that he and his wife had been watching us and knew we needed help. He said it would be ok to leave the boat tied there until we could get help. I told him what happened and he offered to drive me to the landing. So my oldest son and I accepted the kind offer. It took most of the day to get home, get my other boat, and then return to the dock.

All the while my wife stayed on the porch and talked with this elderly couple and my younger son sat on the dock and fished. As it turned out, they were very lonely even though they had several children. Their children had problems of their own and seldom visited so they were all alone in their big house. As we pulled away from the dock they thanked us for such a wonderful afternoon in their otherwise empty lives. The following weekend, we got several plants together and brought them to the couple as a way of saying thank you. So what started out as something negative was turned into something positive. Reach out, reach out and touch someone.

Have a great day,

Greg

24 comments:

Scarlet said...

I love the boat story and how you gave the lonely couple some good company! You're a great family!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Great post Greg. You are definitely a gem of a person!

Peggy said...

Greg;

Thank you so much for the prayer, I need to be reminded often I see, that when bad things happen it's how you deal with it that's important.
Also, what a wonderful boat story. You are one great family and I'm sure the elderly couple were talking about you all for days and days after!

The Dental Maven said...

Opportunities peak out from behind obstacles all the time, don't they? We just have to be ready to see them.

skoots1mom said...

well said...
very good post!

Chatty Kelly said...

I LOVED YOUR STORY!! Oh my, God does have plans for us, doesn't he? They might not match OUR plans, but his are better. You may not of gotten to do all the fishing you wanted, but you made someone's day.

Great thankful Thursday. I am going to convelese on the couch and wish for chicken noodle soup. :-)

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Your story is a perfect example that our even accidents and inconveniences are no accident! God knew what he was doing in leading you to that couple. Thanks for sharing your wonderful list of blessings.

Patience said...

Y'all are good people, John!!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Great post - i've been reading in 2Corinthians myself and I Love these verses. Glad your family was OK in the recent accident

I love your blog header and your boat story.

Bardouble29 said...

Awww... I love stories that end with something good coming out of bad.

Angie said...

so heartwarming...thankful with you...

Susan D said...

Awesome TT list. I especially like the story about your adventure with the elderly couple and how each of you were blessed as a result. Blessings, SusanD

Jamie Dawn said...

What a terrific story! You are so right about how we can turn things around by just adjusting our attitude and making the most of whatever situation we find ourselves in. I know that horribly devastating situations are not ones we can easily turn around, but everyday annoyances and troubles can be looked at in a different light, then NOT allowed to ruin our day. Sometimes even something marvelous happens, like your day with that elderly couple.

It's National Prayer Day:
I pray for our nation and our leaders. I pray our nation turns to God for help through these hard times. I pray for God's blessing on America.
Amen.

I'm thankful for a lot of things. Blogging and blog buddies are a couple of them.

:-)

Terri Tiffany said...

I love that story of the couple and the boat:) I know if you played with it some--it would make the perfect chicken soup story. Keep that in mind when you are ready to try your hand at it--this is one that would work somewhere if you show and not tell it:)

(I'm pushy pushy)

Cricket said...

Beautiful...

Denise said...

A good reminder to us all that often those things that frustrate us are actually opportunities in disguise.

Deb said...

Love the story about the elderly couple!! There is so much truth in the fact that you never know how you can make a great impact on someone else. Blessings to you and your family for blessing someone else!
Deb

Kim said...

God is so good at providing opportunities like this!

Tänia said...

I love the boat story. If we just take the time to visit with people... you can meet such wonderful friends!

Thank you for sharing!

Tänia of Faith Prints & Christian Bloggers

Sharon said...

Greg what a beautiful story, maybe you should write a book on this, I like it. God has plans for us all doesn't he!
Your TT was great, you have such a beautiful heart.

Have a Blessed weekend :)

Patience said...

Hey Greg I just realized in my earlier comment I called you John!!!

So sorry!! I was thinking of my friend John when I wrote that.

They say the mind is the first thing to go . . .

Edie said...

What a wonderful story Greg! What an incredible blessing to both of your families.

My daughter has a friend who went with a friend to try out his new (to him) boat on the lake. While out there the boat had a problem and they were stranded out in the middle of the lake and no way to row to shore. Another boat came by after a while and the guys offered to give that driver their case of beer in exchange for a tow. The driver agreed so the guys (foolishly) loaded the beer on the other boat and the other driver took off and left them stranded and without their beer. Somehow they made it home safe but thirsty.

Debbie said...

Good for you for sticking with the exercise! Wish I could say the same.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀