Thursday, November 19, 2009
Thankful Thursday, just my luck.
Some people accuse me of just being lucky but I have a feeling that a lot of my luck comes from Devine intervention. I do think that God is watching over me and for that I am thankful. This morning, Mr. T (Our Cat) decided he wanted to go outside at 4:10. He always goes outside sometime early in the morning and usually it’s my wife that lets him out since he is her cat. Somehow Mr. T learned to shake the mini blinds with his paw to wake us if he wants to go out so that is how he woke me up this morning. But because I only had 20 minutes left to sleep anyway, I decided to get up early and let him out myself.
1. The first thing I am thankful for is the extra 20 minutes I had. I devoted part of that to quiet time just to sit, reflect and be thankful. It was nice to have the extra time to start my day out silently. I will explain why I needed this in a few moments.
2. I left for work 10 minutes early this morning and on my way in I passed a little church. The sign outside said:
We need to talk,
Thank you for that little reminder. We just spoke but we will do it again today I am sure.
3. I am thankful that I still have a job and that God has given me the ability to do it well and also do so many other things. I am not worried because if I lost this job I know there are so many things I can do. In fact I am not worried about much of anything these days. “I will fear no evil for thou art with me”
4. When I got to the Navy base this morning, I was still running 10 minutes early. I would expect the traffic to be almost nonexistent at that time of the morning but it was already heavy. As I went a little further I found out why. It’s graduation day for the school on base and people were already arriving. Had I been 10 minutes later,(my normal time) I would have been late for work. I am sure there were reminders but somehow I didn’t see them. Thanks again God.
5. My mother has “fallen and couldn’t get up.” Now this doesn’t sound like a blessing but I have a feeling it will turn out to be one for reasons I won’t go into here. She lives in a really bad part of town (again for reasons I won’t go into) but it is her choice to live there and we can’t seem to change her mind. Well she decided that she wanted to get something to eat so she decided to drive herself to a restaurant.(let me just say she had food in the house and most likely only ate one bite of whatever she ordered at the restaurant) She is 80 and very frail and isn’t supposed to be driving. But she is a hard-head and did it anyway. Of course she forgot her cane but she somehow managed to get to a restaurant and eat. Someone helped her into her car after dinner but when she got home, she had to get into her house by herself. So she tried to do that without her cane and with no lights on since she forgot to leave any on.
Well she fell and broke her hip and since my brother who normally lives there (and takes care of her…..Ahem) was spending the night in a dryout facility she just lay there alone in the dark. This is when the thankful part comes in. Since she lives in a really bad neighborhood, chances were that a gangsta or drug dealer (other than my brother) would come by and rob her or something worse. However a nice person(Good Samaritan) just happened to be walking by and noticed that she had left the light on in her car so he walked up to the house to tell her she would have a dead battery in the morning. He found her laying there in the dark and called 911. So what I am thankful for is that a good person found her instead of a robber.
Anyway, she is ok and having a hip operation today to have a pin put in it. She will be out of it for a few days so I will be traveling to Florida this weekend to see her. Is my life interesting or what?
Have a great day and say a little prayer for my Mother.