Wednesday, December 16, 2009
An almost Christmas Random Dozen
1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss. I am totally FOR gingerbread but I prefer it in the gingerbread “man” variety. It just tastes better when you can nibble on the little feet and hands before stuffing the entire thing in your mouth. I know I am sick this way. And homemade is the best.
2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family? Hahahahahaha. That’s a good one. I will leave you with a definite NO. Someone once said you can pick your friends but not your family. If I could I would exchange a few family members. Sorry but that is just the way it is.
3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed? Hmm another tough question. I would say the little drummer boy. As far back as I can remember I have loved the story and the song. I would love it if some archeologist would find evidence that there was a little drummer boy at the Manger. I think they already have but they just aren’t letting the story out.
4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life? How about "Christmas with the Cranks." Although I love Christmas and life, sometimes I feel like it would be great to just go away and leave some of the madness behind. (see question #2 above)
5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of? My favorite is one that just happens to be playing right now and I don’t even know what the name is. I think its by Manheim Steamroller. The part right now is going; On this night on this night on this very Christmas night. On this night on this night on this very Christmas night. Someone help me out here. Oh and I like Josh Growsomebody’s version of Oh Holy Night.
My least favorite is anything from the Charley Brown Christmas movie. I think that movie is way too melancholy. Its right down there with It’s a Wonderful Life.
6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmas time? I give to the Salvation Army. I raise money here at work for needy children. And I give a little extra in the tip department. Those waitresses work hard for their money and some people just don’t appreciate it. I try to leave big tips at Christmas time. They also have to work extra long during the holidays. Tip big, tip often.
7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?"
I don’t mind if someone wants to write something else instead of Christmas but I do get upset when they say I shouldn’t use the word CHRISTmas because it might offend someone. Give me a break. I am not offended if someone wishes me anything positive. I just say; Happy Festivus to you too.
8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month? Maybe two if a Christmas concert counts. I better ask my schedule coordinator.
9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality? With the way our weather has been lately it is a good possibility that we will have some snow soon. However I seldom dream about snow. I dream of warm places like the Bahamas. It is supposed to freeze tomorrow night here. Burrrr it must be global warming.
10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice. One year I got a new fishing pole for Christmas. I always loved going fishing but the only fishing equipment that I had up to that point were things that I repaired myself. This was my first “new” fishing pole.
So on the day after Christmas I got on my bicycle and headed for the bridge to go fishing. On the way, I hit a bump and wrecked my bicycle. As I was falling the fishing pole went into the spokes and it broke into about a dozen pieces. It also broke several spokes on my bike and I bruised and cut my knee and hand. So much for something new.
11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month? Well we went to my office party so that makes one. But we have the rest of the days open if someone is inviting us. We are real party animals you know. We are really fun and usually can stay up until at least 10 if we take a nap before we go. So are you inviting us?
12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas? It really is hard these days. With all the craziness going on in the world it is hard to stay focused on what Christmas is all about. I do try to give more than usual because giving is what Christmas is all about. When you give all that you have you will know the true meaning of Christmas. I’m sorry to say that I am not quite there.
And thank you everyone for the wonderful Christmas Cards. Just wondering though why I didn’t get a Festivus card from someone. What’s up with that?
Have a great day,