An almost Christmas Random Dozen



1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss. I am totally FOR gingerbread but I prefer it in the gingerbread “man” variety. It just tastes better when you can nibble on the little feet and hands before stuffing the entire thing in your mouth. I know I am sick this way. And homemade is the best.

2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family? Hahahahahaha. That’s a good one. I will leave you with a definite NO. Someone once said you can pick your friends but not your family. If I could I would exchange a few family members. Sorry but that is just the way it is.

3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed? Hmm another tough question. I would say the little drummer boy. As far back as I can remember I have loved the story and the song. I would love it if some archeologist would find evidence that there was a little drummer boy at the Manger. I think they already have but they just aren’t letting the story out.

4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life? How about "Christmas with the Cranks." Although I love Christmas and life, sometimes I feel like it would be great to just go away and leave some of the madness behind. (see question #2 above)

5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of? My favorite is one that just happens to be playing right now and I don’t even know what the name is. I think its by Manheim Steamroller. The part right now is going; On this night on this night on this very Christmas night. On this night on this night on this very Christmas night. Someone help me out here. Oh and I like Josh Growsomebody’s version of Oh Holy Night.

My least favorite is anything from the Charley Brown Christmas movie. I think that movie is way too melancholy. Its right down there with It’s a Wonderful Life.

6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmas time? I give to the Salvation Army. I raise money here at work for needy children. And I give a little extra in the tip department. Those waitresses work hard for their money and some people just don’t appreciate it. I try to leave big tips at Christmas time. They also have to work extra long during the holidays. Tip big, tip often.

7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?"
I don’t mind if someone wants to write something else instead of Christmas but I do get upset when they say I shouldn’t use the word CHRISTmas because it might offend someone. Give me a break. I am not offended if someone wishes me anything positive. I just say; Happy Festivus to you too.

8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month? Maybe two if a Christmas concert counts. I better ask my schedule coordinator.

9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality? With the way our weather has been lately it is a good possibility that we will have some snow soon. However I seldom dream about snow. I dream of warm places like the Bahamas. It is supposed to freeze tomorrow night here. Burrrr it must be global warming.

10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice. One year I got a new fishing pole for Christmas. I always loved going fishing but the only fishing equipment that I had up to that point were things that I repaired myself. This was my first “new” fishing pole.

So on the day after Christmas I got on my bicycle and headed for the bridge to go fishing. On the way, I hit a bump and wrecked my bicycle. As I was falling the fishing pole went into the spokes and it broke into about a dozen pieces. It also broke several spokes on my bike and I bruised and cut my knee and hand. So much for something new.

11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month? Well we went to my office party so that makes one. But we have the rest of the days open if someone is inviting us. We are real party animals you know. We are really fun and usually can stay up until at least 10 if we take a nap before we go. So are you inviting us?

12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas? It really is hard these days. With all the craziness going on in the world it is hard to stay focused on what Christmas is all about. I do try to give more than usual because giving is what Christmas is all about. When you give all that you have you will know the true meaning of Christmas. I’m sorry to say that I am not quite there.

And thank you everyone for the wonderful Christmas Cards. Just wondering though why I didn’t get a Festivus card from someone. What’s up with that?

Have a great day,
Greg

Comments

SusanD said…
I'm so stealing this: "Happy Festivus to you too." lol Great list. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD
SouthLakesMom said…
LOL - gingerbread "how to" eat...

#3 - you are so right about those archeologists. They're keeping secrets from us.

#10 - you needed Andy Griffith to come along and help...
Thena said…
Had to look up to see what festivus is. Had never heard of it. Great answers, always make me laugh.
Andrea said…
Hope you have a wonderfully blessed Christmas.
Andrea
Susanne said…
"Josh Growsomebody". You crack me up.

You have quite the technique for eating a gingerbread man.

I love the story of the drummer boy too.
Beth Herring said…
Greg,

I had a hard time reading past #1. Just the visual of you eating the limbs off of the gingerbread man was too much! I eat them that way too. Sick, I know!

Many blessings today,
Pam said…
Christmas with the Kranks! Love. It! We actually did that last year for Thanksgiving and went to Disneyworld. It's hard to stare at relatives in the face and say it was the best Thanksgiving Ev-er! Awkward. LOL
Hello, old friend!

(I don't mean YOU'RE old, I mean we've been friends a while. Anyway...)

You're funny. I know nobody ever tells you that.

#1 - Gingerbread man...sicko.
#2 - You can pick your nose, too.
#3 - Love the drummer boy idea. Great answer!
#10 - Your fishing pole story is about as melancholy as any Charlie Brown or Wonderful Life movie! LOL

Have a blessed Christmas, or Festivus, or whatever you do. ;-)
Chel
Edie said…
1. I have an incredible craving for a gingerbread cookie now.

2. I can relate.

3. You mean he's NOT real???

9. Brrrr! Oh that global warming!

10. Awww. Makes me want to send you a fishing pole.

11. Wouldn't it be fun to have a big ole Blogger Christmas party?

Have a great day and a very blessed Festivus!
C'mon, you can't be serious. Who wouldn't want one of those cute little flying reindeer to come to life????? How disappointing.
Kim said…
Happy Festivus Greg! hahahaha

Or how about ¡Feliz Navidad!

Amen to tipping servers a LOT (since that's how my daughter worked her way through college, I have a special place in my heart for them).

I like to nibble their arms and feet off first too, then their head and finally the body. It's just too awkward to eat 'em any other way.

Sorry about the tragic experience with your first fishing pole -- hope it didn't turn you off fishing (or biking) for good. Makes you appreciate those trapeze artists, doesn't it?
Monogram Queen said…
My Turn......

1. Gingerbread: For or against?
I love homemade gingerbread too (w/ whipped cream) but i'm about to make one of the pre-made houses with Maddie and I fear that will be a bit like eating cardboard. We'll see!
P.S. I always bite off the head first, then go for the limbs - It sort of satisfies my inner serial killer ;)

2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family? No - in fact there are times when I wish I could persuade Stacy to move away from BOTH of our families but that will never happen. He just isn't an adventuresomd person.

3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed? Santa Claus

4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life? A Christmas Story - cynical (you'll shoot your eye out kid) and I love the setting - nostalgia gets me every time.

5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of? I love so much christmas music, I love to hear the Transiberian Orchestra play.
I'm a little tired of that sappy Christmas Shoes one though.

6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmas time? I give to the Salvation Army also and Toys For Tots.

7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc.,

No, although Merry Christmas IS my favorite and the greeting of choice for me but I think people make WAY too much out of it. Relax people, relax.

8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month? 4


9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality? Oh yes, I am! I don't know, i'ts been twenty years so we're due!!!!

10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. I got a "Peachy Puppets" Doll that I wanted desperately when I was 6 - I wonder what became of her?



11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month? 1 - but I'd love to go to a real dress up one. I've got an awesome green dress!

12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas? I try to focus more on being together an dless on the gift/monetary aspect of it. Don't feel bad, Greg, i'm not there either.
Debbie said…
Lots to ponder here!
I have the BEST gingerbread recipe but it makes a nice, moist cake, not crunchy men. With whipped cream, it is good enough to set you free.
Amy said…
I love festivus for the rest of us!!

Amy
Heart2Heart said…
Greg,

Loving this Christmas edition of the Random Dozen! These are great! I too love the cannibalistic version of the Gingerbread men or women, they taste better when you can bite off their heads or arms or legs!

Just got your Christmas card in yesterday and Love it!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat
Carmen said…
Burrrrr...it must be global warming! You crack me up!! So true, btw...
The Bug said…
I think that song is by Transiberian Orchestra - I love it too!
Love your Drummer Boy answer!

I think it's Josh Groban.

Merry Christmas & Happy Festivus to you!
larkswing said…
Love your answers, as always, but the broken fishing pole was sad! As well as all the booboos that come with falling off bikes!
Unknown said…
Coffee is an important part of like that ceremonies!!!!!!!!!


Trailers Accessories
Unknown said…
Have a great collection of paragraph and pictures beau ti....Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!



grave markers

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper

My plans have changed.

My new blog