Thankful Thursday, I have no intention…….



On the last day of 2012, I took a Yoga class. I knew it would be a great way to end the year and it was. During the class just like in most classes the leader suggested that we set an intention. For those that don’t take yoga, what this means is that you pick an object or thought to focus on during the class. It can be an object like a flower or a bird or something less concrete like love or peace. In this class we were told to try and think of an intention to set our focus for 2013. Try as I may, I just couldn’t come up with just one thing.

All kinds of ideas were popping into my head for what I want to accomplish in 2013 but there was no common theme to focus on. As in the past, I do want to lose weight this year. I want to get in shape. I want to become healthier by eating better, drinking less, exercising more and minimizing the stress in my life. I would like to do more volunteer work, help others more, and reach out to those in need. I would like to make some new friends and get rid of some old habits that no longer suit me. I would like to strengthen my spirituality. I would also like to try my hand at some new things this year. All good things but there is no central theme.

After giving several days of thought, I have decided that I really don’t have just one direction. So what do you do when you have no clear direction to go? The answer was so obvious that I just couldn’t see it; When you have nowhere to go, just stay put. It’s ironic that several weeks ago when I was getting ready to start my yoga class, the instructor came over and asked how I was doing. I told her that “I” was doing great. There was trouble in the world all around me but in my little space everything was perfect.

And that is how it usually is for me. Any turmoil or grief in my life is caused by some external force or person. If I were all alone, other than feeling alone, I would have nothing at all to complain about. My little world is calm and serene. Inside I am happy and content. It’s only when I have to deal with the chaos around me that I get upset. So where does that leave me?

I guess that I need to focus on what I already have and try to strengthen it. I need to make improvements and take care of myself so that I can face the turmoil all around me. It is obvious to me considering what is going on in Washington that no one else is going to watch out for me so I must do it myself. And maybe, just maybe, if I strengthen myself, I can start to make changes to the world around me instead of having it affect me.

So today I am thankful for my will to survive and knowing that all things are possible through God. I know that no matter how bad things get in the years to come, I will make it through. And even if I don’t have a direction at the moment I still have a purpose for being here.



Have a great day,

Greg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper

My plans have changed.

My new blog